There will be a considerable amount of workshop time in class for the essay this week. You should come prepared to work. Bring all of your notes and a flash drive (I will try to get computers and/or mobile labs at least once). The paper will be due on Nov 22.
This weekend, do one or more of the following:
- Think about what you are stuck on in particular so you can make it clear to me. Is it a thesis? Arguments? Evidence? Getting started?
- Start making an outline for your paper.
- If you are having trouble getting started, think about a person or event from this unit that you found the most interesting. Gather all of your notes and make a list of facts and ideas regarding the person or event.
Claim - The Industrial Revolution provoked the social, economic and cultural changes that incentivized the Women's Suffrage Movement.
- The increased need for labor during the Industrial Revolution helped the pull women from the domestic sphere into the public sphere, where they increased their impact on politics as part of the labor movement.
- The Industrial Revolution prompted a surge in socialism. Socialist organizations provided suffragists with organizational support.
- Women used their traditional domestic roles to address the chaos brought about by industrialization.
Claim - The spirit of reform that swept America during the Progressive Era helped to spark the Women's Suffrage Movement.
Claim - The Women's Suffrage Movement arose from increased educational and political opportunities for women.
Claim - World War I created a political, economic and cultural climate that made voting rights for women attainable.