School of the Future
History, J. Copeland
Answer the following questions (Zinn chaps 2-3 in blue book, 13, 14 in red book)
1. Is the title “One Big Union” appropriate when used in reference to the IWW? Why,
2. +why not?
3. What was the percent increase of women office workers from 1870-1900?
4. Discuss several of the discriminatory practices used against women workers.
5. Pick any four of the “Rules for Female Teachers.” How do you think each rule was rationalized?
6. Select and discuss an excerpt from Mother Mary Jones’s description of the conditions in the Milwaukee Brewery.
7. What was the percent increase in woman members of the Socialist Party between 19 04-1913?
8. Discuss the role of Socialists in the feminist movement.
9. Identify: Bill Haywood, Socialist Woman,
B) Create a chart to identify the following terms found in Zinn and the Suffrage handout.
Kate Richards O’Hare
Women and socialism
Mother Mary Jones ***
Mary Elizabeth Lease
Eugene Debs ***
AFL/Samuel Gompers ***
Susan B. Anthony
International Ladies Garment-workers Unions
W. E. B. Dubois ***
Booker T. Washington
Theodore Roosevelt/progressivism ***
National Civic Federation
United Mine Workers Union
General Douglass Haig
William Jennings Bryant
J. P. Morgan
Committee on Public Information
Oliver Wendell Holmes
Green Corn Rebellion
Sacco and Vanzetti
Select and analyze 2 quotes that illustrate each of the following concepts:
militarism, industrialism, secret alliances, imperialism