Read 328-339 in Zinn. Answer the following questions using complete sentences. Include a quote from the text to support your answer.
1) Compare the AFL with the IWW. Construct a Venn Diagram and write several sentences.
2) What is a general strike? What would that look like in New York City?
3) Discuss the tacticts of the IWW. In what ways did they organize workers? What tacticts did they use to help workers resist oppression?
4) Select and discuss 2 quotes that illustrate the impact of immigration on the IWW. Where were these immigrants from?
5) Construct a primary source analysis chart for "Rules for Female Teachers".
6) Discuss the excerpt from the Handbook of the Women's Trade Industrial League. In what ways are the concept of Taylorism expressed? Can you make any connections to the Women's Suffrage Movement?
longshoreman: a laborer who loads and unloads vessels in a port
militant: disposed to warfare or hard-line policies; "militant nations"; "hawkish congressman"; "warlike policies"
persistance: the property of a continuous and connected period of time
ordinance: regulation, an authoritative rule, a statute enacted by a city government