I'm not going to be in tomorrow so you can work on these questions tonight and in class tomorrow. The first half are due Tuesday, all sixteen must be complete by Wednesday
Based on Vidal pages 147-166
1. Discuss XYZ affair. Be sure to discuss all the major players involved and the controversy it sparked. What do you think Vidal is suggesting about the incident?(two quotes)
2. Discuss/describe the interaction between Marshall and Napoleon (one quote)
3. How did the Federalists react to the XYZ affair? (two quotes)
4. Why does Vidal keep calling Hamilton "General Hamilton?"
5. Discuss Napoleon's impact on France. (one quote)
6. What Marshal report to Adam's when he returned from France? (one quote)
7. Why do you think Vidal claim Hamilton wanted to be the "Napoleon of the West?" What might Hamilton and Napoleon have in common?
8. Who does Adams appoint as lieutenant commander and chief?
9. What was the Alien Act? What was the Sedition Act? What does Vidal want you to think about these act? What would be the reaction if such acts were passed today? Explain. (three quotes)
10. What is Bastille Day?
11. Discuss the Republicans reaction to the Alien and Sedition Acts. (one quote)
12. Discuss Hamilton's role in the military. (one quote)
13. Discuss Adams's comment about the British/French War. (one quote)
14. Why is there little evidence of Jefferson and Madison's correspondence during the Alien and Sedition Act crisis?
15. Discuss Jefferson and Madison's interpretation of the 10th amendment. Discuss the Va and Ky resolutions. Why were they controversial?
16. What is nullification?