Complete your notes and annotations for the Hollingsworth document. In addition, finish part one of the analysis questions:
Analysis Questions pt 1
· Select, analyze and interpret a quote that illustrates the time period in the context of imperialism. What is the connection between child bearing and imperialism?
· What is the “womanly woman?” How is she described by McDougall, Jastrow, and the media? Provide evidence to support your answer.
· How is public opinion used to compel women to bear children?
Discuss, analyze and interpret:
“Only abnormal women want no babies. Trenchant criticism of modern life was made by Dr. Max G. Schlapp, internationally known as a neurologist. Dr. Schlapp addressed his remarks to the congregation of the Park Avenue M.E.Church. He said, "The birth rate is falling off. Rich people are the ones who have no children, and the poor have the greatest number of offspring. Any woman who does not desire offspring is abnormal. We have a large number, particularly among the women, who do not want children. Our social society is becoming intensely unstable." [p. 23]
“: "We are living in an age when women have pronounced upon themselves a judgment that is dangerous in the highest degree to the development of the population. .... We have the right to do what we will with the life that is in us, say they." [p. 24]”
Why does Hollingsworth choose to include these exerpts?
· Discuss the legal provisions used to compel women to bear children.
· How is the media used to compel women to bear children? Compare the use of media then (early 20th century) and now.