Finish reading the Horton essay. Complete notes and annotations. Complete the analysis sheet begun in class.
Race and the American Constitution: A Struggle toward National Ideals
1 – Context (provide evidence and analysis to support your answers)
· What does the Constitution say about slavery directly?
· What did Dahl suggest regarding slavery and the Constitution?
· What does Vidal suggest about Jefferson and slavery?
2 – Summarize and analyze the Horton essay. Identify:
· Important people , events, legislation, organizations, agencies
· Provide direct evidence
· Make connections to other texts and the essential question
· Reflect on what surprised you and what confirmed your prior beliefs/evolving argument
3 – Do some synthesis writing that connects your analysis and notes to the essential question (refer to chart in classroom)