Read "The Black Revolution" 532-548 (up to Revolution at High Tide)
1. What was the purpose of the 1963 March on Washington?
2. What was the significance of the Civil Rights Act of 1964? What changes did it make? Discuss the Congressional political split in voting. How did Southern whites who opposed to the bill react to its passage?
3. Discuss the election of 1964.
4. Discuss the Selma and Montgomery voter's rights marches. How were the marchers treated? What role did Lyndon Johnson play?
5. What obstacles did blacks face to securing housing? What gains were won in this area?
6. Discuss the socioeconomic struggles faced by blacks. In what ways did these problems connect to the urban riots in places like Watts.
7. Discuss methods used to bring about integration. Why were these methods controversial?